Montpelier, Vt. — Vermont Republican Party executive director Jeff Bartley today issued the following statement:
“This is one decision for which Governor Peter Shumlin deserves praise. In deciding not to seek reelection, Governor Shumlin has done what is best for Vermont.
“No amount of spin, however, can obscure the reasons for this decision.
“Over the last 5 years, Vermont’s Democrats have had total control of state government. Here are some of the results they’ve produced:
- Thousands of Vermonters have been forced to drop out of the workforce and seek opportunities in other states.
- Wages for middle income workers have been largely stagnant.
- The cost of living — everything from your vehicle registration to electricity costs — continues to skyrocket.
- Hundreds of millions of dollars have been wasted on the state’s biggest boondoggle, Vermont Health Connect (that still isn’t fully functional).
- Taxes have increased hundreds of millions of dollars — a stunning $60 millions of dollars in the fiscal year that begins July 1.
- The state budget continues to grow faster than revenues, increases in your paycheck and the economy as a whole.
“Vermonters have a right to know that these results are not Governor Shumlin’s alone — they are shared by a Legislature controlled by his party. They are the result of a state capital that is out of balance and a Democrat party that is of touch with working Vermonters.
“It’s time for leadership that listens and that puts progress ahead of politics.
“In the remaining months of Governor Shumlin’s final term, Vermont Republicans will continue our laser like focus on growing the economy, making Vermont more affordable and bringing state government into the 21st Century so it can more effectively serve the people of Vermont.
“And we look forward to sharing our ideas with the people of Vermont in the months leading up to Election Day in 2016 — because the real work to make Vermont more affordable and our families more prosperous has to happen in the voting booth.”