Pomfret, VT (August 31, 2016) – U.S. Senate candidate Scott Milne today issued the following statement calling on Sen. Patrick Leahy to donate the more than $20,000 he has received from Mylan’s political action committee and CEO, including $7,000 he received in conjunction with the sunset cruise fundraiser Leahy hosted on Lake Champlain last year, to the Food Allergy Research & Education charity.
“Sen. Leahy can talk a big game when it comes to Mylan’s obscene and immoral price increases for EpiPen, but unless he immediately rids himself of the over $20,000 he gladly accepted from Mylan then that’s all it is—talk. Special interest money is corrupting the political process, and the faux outrage of Washington politicians like Leahy is betrayed by their eagerness to line their campaign coffers with special interest money. This is exactly why Senator Leahy needs to accept my clean campaign pledge and return all of the $3.1 million in special interest money he has received during his current term.”
LEAHY HAS CRITICIZED MYLAN FOR ITS DRUG PRICING PRACTICES.
Leahy issued a press release yesterday announcing that he had joined a letter criticizing Mylan.
HOWEVER, LEAHY HAS ACCEPTED AT LEAST $20,900 FROM MYLAN’S PAC AND ITS CEO SINCE 2009, INCLUDING AT LEAST $8,500 IN JUST THE PAST YEAR.
- Leahy received $1,500 from Mylan into leadership PAC on 3/18/16:
- Leahy received $3,500 from Mylan into his campaign committee on 10/2/15.
- Leahy received $3,500 from Mylan into his leadership PAC on 10/2/15:
- Leahy received $5,000 from Mylan into his campaign committee on 6/23/09.
- Leahy received $5,000 from Mylan into his campaign committee on 6/15/09.
- Leahy received $2,400 from current Mylan CEO Heather Bresch into his campaign committee 6/23/09.
LEAHY ACCEPTED THOUSANDS IN CONTRIBUTIONS EVEN AS MYLAN WAS JACKING UP THE PRICE OF EPIPEN.
The wholesale price of EpiPen had risen roughly 400 percent from the time Mylan purchased the drug (making the price about $415) by the time the Senator hosted his Lake Champlain Cruise.
You can view a word version of this press release HERE.